The most common question I receive is “What can I do?” It’s great to read and research and listen, but when it comes to action, many people aren’t sure what they can *do* to help those who need it. Here is a list of actions you can take this week:
- Call your two senators and ask them to oppose the following cabinet appointees: Betsy DeVos, Jeff Sessions, Steve Mnuchin, and Tom Price. If you aren’t sure who your two senators are, you can look them up here. Use this script: Hi! I’m a constituent from [GIVE YOUR ZIP CODE] calling about cabinet appointees. I know that five is a lot to oppose, but I believe the following people are unfit to lead: Betsy DeVos, Jeff Sessions, Steve Mnuchin, and Tom Price. Will you let me know how [YOUR SENATOR] plans to vote on these appointees?
- Support the water protectors at Standing Rock. If you can, donate to aid with the mounting legal fees after months of arrests.
- Join a local group supporting immigrants, refugees, and/or Muslims and/or donate to one of the following organizations: The Council on American-Islamic Relations, The United States High Commissioner for Refugees, The International Refugee Assistance Project, The American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, Doctors Without Borders, The National Immigration Law Center, or the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund. More organizations to support can be found here and here.
- Create a political action plan for yourself. Select 3-5 issues to focus on, list what specific actions you will take on those issues over the next 30 days, then make a plan on how you will carve out the time to do so. Shoot for one small action every day and one larger action per week.
- Public comment on the Dakota Access Pipeline is now open. Make it known that you oppose.
- Boycott the Trumps.
- Think about running for office locally. Another resource on this can be found here.
- Work in your own social circles and locally to bring new members into the resistance.
- Understand Trump’s strategy and the best ways to resist.
- Make sure you are able to discern real news from fake news. It’s easy to get trigger happy with headlines when we see them, but it’s important to look at dates of articles, read articles before sharing (and not just headlines), and critically think about the media and news we are consuming, especially before we share. Make sure that when you share news, you are sharing credible news based on reality.
BONUS: Keep up with Trump’s agenda and where each major issue is in the pipeline.
And always remember to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. Give yourself permission to take breaks and disconnect for as long as you need to in order to stay sane. It’s important to stay informed, but you do not have to immerse yourself. A constant barrage of bad news is not good for anyone. Check the news once or twice per day and try your best not to get too caught up in any one thing. One of Trump’s strategies is to distract and fatigue the resistance. Don’t let it happen to you. Stay vigilant, but also stay sane. We’re going to need as many sane people to combat Trump as possible, and this is going to be a long journey.
This Week’s Stop Trump Reading List
- Trial Balloon for a Coup? and What “Things Going Wrong” Can Look Like by Yonatan Zunger
- The Trump Resistance Plan by Steven Harper
- Gaslighting: Know It and Identify It to Protect Yourself by Stephanie Sarkis, PhD
- The Normalization Trap by Adam Bear and Joshua Knobe
- Trump’s Executive Order on Obamacare, Explained by Two Health Policy Experts by Sarah Kliff
- The Inevitability of Impeachment by Robert Kuttner
- A Clarifying Moment in American History by Eliot A. Cohen
- A Simple Guide to How You Can Throw Sand in the Trump Administration’s Gears by Katherine Minarik
- Want to Move Congress? Focus on Storytelling by Rachna Choudhry
- I Was Trained for the Culture Wars in Home School, Awaiting Someone Like Mike Pence as a Messiah by Kieryn Darkwater
- The Indivisible Guide from Indivisible
- 5 Ways Not to Bite the Trump Hook by Susan Piver
- Fake or Real? How to Self-Check the News and Get the Facts by Wynne Davis
- The ACLU’s 7-Point Plan of Action to Take On the Trump Administration by Anthony D. Romero
- The Rise Citizen Guide: 10 Steps That Every American Can Take to Save Our Healthcare from RiseStronger.org
- The Most Useful Guide to Resisting Donald Trump by Jim Newell
- 9 Things You Can Do About Climate Change by Jeff McMahon
BONUS RESOURCE: 5 Calls
HOW TO RESIST IF YOU HAVE SOCIAL ANXIETY
- The Shy Person’s Guide to Calling Representatives
- 26 Ways to Be in the Struggle Beyond the Streets
- How to Call Your Reps When You Have Social Anxiety by Cordelia
Resource Compiled By: